What are the Advantages of Sedation Dentistry?Barotz Dental | January 30, 2019
If you get nervous about going to the dentist, you’re not alone. Studies suggest that millions of people experience some level of anxiety about going to the dentist. In fact, about 15% of people avoid their dentists due to this anxiety. Unfortunately, delaying your Denver dentist visits doesn’t help to ward off any problems, it generally allows them to become much worse. This trend has become such a significant issue in the dental industry, that many dentists are now specifically trained in techniques to help alleviate your fears.
If you have concerns about visiting with your dentist in Denver CO, call Barotz Dental today at 720-707-0200 to discuss your situation. Dr. Barotz can discuss several options available to you so that you can get through all your dental care and restore your oral health.
We have compiled a short list of some of the biggest advantages that sedation dentistry can offer for patients so that you know what to expect when you schedule your next appointment.
Sedation Dentistry Options
There are a few different tools that dentists have at their disposal when it comes to sedation dentistry. Not all patients need to be unconscious to make it through a routine checkup. Understanding each of these options can help you decide which may be the best fit for you.
- Nitrous Oxide – This gas is generally referred to as laughing gas. Nitrous oxide acts as a mild sedative that is administered by breathing through a mask that is placed over your nose. Patients are still aware of their surroundings and will remember the procedure, but the gas produces a euphoric or relaxed state of mind and mild sedation.
- Oral Sedatives – These sedatives are generally administered via a prescription pill. The effects of pills can vary based on the medication type, but they generally produce a more pronounced sense of relaxation than nitrous oxide and some level of sedation. Depending on the medication and patient the effects on your ability to recall the procedure are varied. However, patients on these sedatives are generally alert enough to respond to commands throughout a procedure.
- IV Sedation – IV or intravenous sedation is used for more complex procedures or for patients who cannot tolerate either of the lower levels of sedation. IV sedation is administered with a sedative solution that is placed straight into the bloodstream through an IV needle. These patients are typically completely unconscious and will not remember the procedure and cannot respond to commands during the procedure.
Benefits of Sedation Dentistry
- Gagging or Oral Sensitivities – many patients have issues with dental equipment in their mouths. Sedation dentistry can help to reduce these reactions to complete dental procedures.
- Fear of Needles – Many patients have specific phobias that are linked to dentists giving a local anesthetic with a needle. Low levels of sedative can help relax patients so that their procedure can be conducted without pain.
- Overcoming Fear – Dentist offices can trigger a wide variety of fears in patients. Sometimes the sounds, sights, smells, or just the general office setting can create anxiety for patients. Mild sedatives can be used in these cases to help relieve patients of their fears.
- Multiple Procedures – Sometimes patients require extensive dental work that cannot be conducted at one time with the patient awake. Using sedation dentistry allows dentists to complete more procedures in a single visit which reduces overall discomfort and increases the efficiency of the process.
- Creating Positive Memories – Patients who have fears about the dentist’s office are more likely to return if they don’t have any bad memories of their visit. Sedation can allow patients to remember the best parts of their visit without anything that might trigger their anxiety. This allows them to maintain a regimen of office visits to maintain their oral health.
If you have been avoiding the dentist’s office because you are nervous or scared about your next appointment, call 720-707-0200 today to discuss your options. Our top Sedation dentists in Denver CO are prepared and ready to help you have a comfortable and positive dental experience.