Dental Implant Bridges
Whether a planned extraction or an unexpected accident, losing a tooth can feel like the end of the world. Depending on where the gaps are in your mouth, the physical and psychological impact of missing teeth can be significant. You may find that it changes the way that you bite or chew your food, or it may alter the way in which you pronounce certain sounds, impacting your speech. Many people who have lost teeth become self-conscious about the way that their teeth look and the overall appearance of their smile and as a result, their confidence and self-esteem can suffer which can affect your work and personal relationships.
Fortunately, our patients don’t have to suffer the effects of tooth loss. One of the most popular and effective solutions that we can offer for the gap in your smile is known as a dental implant bridge which we can supply and fit here at our Denver dental offices.
What are dental implant bridges and how do they work?
Dental implant bridges are a fusion of two very successful tooth replacement techniques: a conventional dental bridge and a dental implant.
Conventional dental bridges have been used to replace single missing teeth for decades. Their structure consists of artificial teeth, known as pontics, which are attached and supported on either side by dental crowns. These are tooth-shaped caps that sit over the top of the healthy teeth on either side of the gap, securing the bridge in place.
A dental implant is one of the newest and most effective methods of replacing missing teeth. It’s unique component, a titanium post, is placed into the jawbone where it extends upwards into and through the gum. A porcelain crown is then attached to the part of the post that sticks up through the gum tissue, providing the visible part of the solution. What makes dental implants so secure is the fact that the bone regenerates around the implanted titanium post, anchoring it permanently within the jaw. This process, called osseointegration, takes several months but once complete, the post has unrivalled stability and security. In dental implant bridges, a conventional bridge is attached to the implant posts, rather than to healthy teeth.
Advantages of a dental implant bridge
A dental implant bridge offers patients a number of advantages over the conventional solution including:
- Greater stability of their restoration since it is secured on permanent, immovable anchors.
- No need for neighboring teeth to be placed under pressure to support the bridge restoration.
- The implant posts will help to stimulate the bone in the jaw where the roots of the missing teeth would previously have been which will help to keep the jaw healthy and strong to prevent deterioration.
- Dental implants offer the greatest longevity of any type of restoration.
- Your new teeth will look and feel completely natural.
- In some cases, it may be possible to have the entire process carried out in just one appointment. This is known as teeth in a day and means that the prosthetic bridge can be loaded onto the implant posts immediately.
- You can enjoy whatever foods you would like to without compromise as there will be no risk of the implanted post becoming loose.
- A dental implant bridge needs very little maintenance and can be checked by your dentist at your routine appointments.
If you would like more information about dental implant bridges, or if you’d like to schedule an appointment to see if it is a viable solution for you, please get in touch by calling our offices in Denver, CO today at (720) 573-1500.